Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pappa's Got a Miscellaneous Bag!

A few updates before we get started...

  • $935 has now been raised to build a well in Zambia! So blessed by the generosity of so many. I am still quite a ways from my goal, so if you would like more information about Active Water or why I am hiking or would like to contribute, click the Active Water link to the right or the support menu above.
  • Thanks to my friends at Phillip Galls, I have a new sleeping bag which is much warmer.  I tested it out last night with temp lows at 34 (26 wind chill).  I was comfortable all night.  I am testing it out again tonight with lows down to 26.
Last week we checked out my kitchen.  This week, we are going to dig into the tools and tech that will keep me sane.  The tools of a hiker have evolved over the years.  It used to be a compass, map, and walking stick.  Now it's GPS, PDF guide books, and corklite argon speed lock trekking poles.  Every hiker  has a few tools that contribute to the hike, but they also leave room for a few toys that are there when all the trees begin to look the same.  So without further ado, here is what is in my miscellaneous gear bag.
We are going to travel clockwise from the bottom right.

  • Petzl Tikka Headlamp (with rechargeable battery)- This is a great headlamp with bright, dim, and red light settings (good for reading and being respectful of those around you).  This will be my only source of light.
  • SPOT GPS Locator- This little gadget will keep my family sane.  I can use it to check in (which should put my location on a map on this blog) and send messages saying I'm ok or I'm getting mauled by a bear-send help.
  • Leatherman Juice Multi-Tool- mostly used for the knife, but other tools might be used in those MacGuyver moments.
  • iPhone- if you know me you know this is an extension of my body. It will be used mostly for music (kept in airplane mode to save battery) and to call home. It will also be used to keep up with the Cincinnati Reds (this is our year!!!) and my Bible reading.
  • Mophie Juice Pack- this is an external battery that will charge my iPhone around 3 full charges.  I can easily plug it into a charger when I get into town and juice it back up.
  • The A.T. Guide- this will get me to Maine (and to the best all you can eat restaurants in each town)
  • Chargers- batter charger for camera (also taking spare camera battery), iPhone cord and wall plug (charges Mophie Juice Pack as well)
Not pictured but also included in this group of gear:

  • Nikon Coolpix AW100 camera- waterproof, shockproof, and built in GPS camera. This will take all my pictures and put them on a map.
  • First Aid Kit- ziplock bag with a few bandaids, mole skin, vitamin I (ibuprofen), and neosporin
  • Toiletries- TP, toothbrush, toothpaste, travel soap, small comb (for my grizzly beard) and pack towel. (Stinking is just a fact of life on the trail so no amount of soap or deodorant will fix that)
  • Mountain Smith Trekking Poles- these our doubling as my tent poles
This is one of my heavier gear groups, and some of these items would be considered luxury, meaning you don't need them to survive or complete the hike, but sometimes an extra pound or two is worth it if it keeps you sane!

Next week...THE BIG FOUR! This will be the last of the gear posts as we get two weeks out from the hike.

0 comments:

Post a Comment